The beauty of learning something new...



Some of you may remember me writing about going back to school for interior decorating. I have been taking classes at night on everything from color to textiles to accessories and more. My latest class has been on rendering ~ basically, we had to learn to draw furniture.
This is the only class I have been anxious about because drawing is NOT one of my natural talents. My instructor was just as sure he could teach me and my classmates to draw as all of us were certain we couldn’t do it. Well, after a few weeks of rather intensive work, drawing everything from elephants to chicks to presidents to chairs, sofas, lamps, etc., it turns out my instructor was right.
Last week he made us draw a Louis XV chair, which he said is one of the hardest pieces of furniture to draw. An hour later, I had done it, all on my own, with no input or help. My instructor’s pencil never touched the paper. And as you can see, it actually looks like the Louis XV chair we were given to draw. I was rather amazed, to be honest, at how far I had come, and my instructor teased me a bit about how he was right all along. Drawing will never be my strong suit ~ that’s more along the lines of color and accessorizing ~ but I can certainly draw well enough to show someone a room design.
It’s amazing what you can learn when you suspend disbelief in yourself and are willing to try something new.
Wishing all of you a lovely start to the week...


Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. Hello Eileen,
    Your Louie chair drawing is fab! You must feel so proud of yourself. I have been learning to draw people...oh my, hard too! lol!
    But you have really done beautifully here. Yay for you!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great accomplishment! Drawing is not my strength either. lol You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chair is suitable for framing! Nice job.

    Sounds like you are really enjoying school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.