The last delicate beauty of spring...


“I have an affection for those transitional seasons, the way they take the edge off the intense cold of winter, or heat of summer.” 
~ Whitney Otto, How to Make An American Quilt

As the saying goes, to everything there is a season. What struck me about this bunch of tulips as it neared the end of its season was how lovely each bud was in its own way. You can see the soft folds of this tulip starting to curl and wither, its bright pink color fading, and yet, it’s still lovely.
Spring is starting to fade, too, as summer speeds up its arrival. The days are sunny and bright, the evenings warm, and we have the urge to begin all those wonderful summer activities ~ spending time at the beach, trading china for paper plates and hot kitchens for outdoor grills, reading in the afternoon after getting all your chores done in the cooler hours of the morning, and enjoying backyard barbecues and picnics. It’s time for hot dogs and lemonade and ice cream cones, flowers bursting with color in the yard and gardens overflowing with vegetables.
Soak in the last couple weeks of spring and enjoy its loveliness before summer’s warm beauty makes you forget the delicateness of the season before.
Wishing all of you a lovely weekend and a happy June...

I am linking to:
Creative Weekends at The Pink Home
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound
A Favorite Thing at Mockingbird Hill Cottage
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
A Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life

Photo by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. What a lovely post Eileen. I am planning on spending every moment this summer soaking up the summer fun. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still not overly warm where I live, and one of summer's bounties which I won't be experiencing this year is cherries. All 5 of my cherry trees had blossomed in April, then we got hit with a freeze which destroyed all the fruit. Of the 8 summers we've lived in this house, this is the 4th time this has happened.

    On the flip side, though, my roses are now blooming, and they look so beautiful.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any tulips left, or lilacs thanks to the heavy rain and wind of the storms....I appreciated each moment I got with them as I had dreamed of them all winter long! Don't you wish they lasted longer?
    ♥ Jil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said about enjoying the spring before the hot days of summer and I need paper plates also LOL

    I really like the dogie on the sofa in your header

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for the seasons. I do not like the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep-the seasons pass quickly! Your pic is very pretty, Happy Weekend-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I came here from Seasonal Sundays. Your blog is gorgeous and love the way you're doing the mindful approach to living. I think it's a great concept and your photos and style are beautiful. I'm a new follower and can't wait to read more and look around your blog further. :)

    Jennifer
    http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have had such a glorious spring here in FL however yesterday felt like an August day. It is most certainly my favorite time of year and it makes me sad for its passing. Your tulips are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely photo of the tulips - they are beautiful in every stage of their life. This transition to summer is fairly brief this year - such a long winter that lasted into spring.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.